Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gotta Tell You This

I just watched a little documentary called "Exit Through the Gift Shop" (Available on Netflix Instant Queue) and it got me thinking about graffiti or a nicer term is "street art".

I've always had mixed feelings about graffiti. On one hand, I don't like the idea of breaking the law and vandalism, on the other, I love provocative art and art that was kind of dangerous and risky to produce.

However, it's hard to see graffiti from good artists and not think 'yea, this art should be everywhere', but there is really stupid graffiti of just people's names, penises or some personal logo, which I think gives all street art a bad reputation.

Some of the artists I came upon you may have heard of already. "Banksy" is most well known in Great Britain and is illegal art installations and wall paintings always cause a stir, but they are just phenomanal so here click here to see his website and look at some of his stuff.

Most older art in a museum, I feel like most people passively look at it and take it in, but then forget about it just in time for the next painting. Banksy's work and artists like him make me laugh and emote a lot more than I would with a Monet painting. And the idea behind these painting or sculptures doesn't go over my head. I never feel too dumb or too smart for any of this work I look at.

Some other street art names are "Obey" (his website); every American should know him for designing Obama's "Hope" poster. Also, Thierry Guetta, street artist name=Mr.Brainwash (his website) is the french "filmmaker" turned street artist that the movie I watched is about.

There's something addictive about these mixtures of modern art, pop art and street art and I hope it keeps happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment